I remember watching Steel Magnolias and there’s this line where Anell (played by Daryl Hannah) got a bit fussy about what she was going to wear to church and Truvie (played by the incomparable Dolly Parton, STILL one of my faves) says to her, “God don’t care what you’re wearin’ long as you show up!” That line always tickled me because there was a truth behind it. God (or however you choose to address your higher power/guiding force) doesn’t care as long as you worship/praise in their name.
My mom would more than likely disagree with this one. See, when I was little, my mom would send me off to church with my neighbors. I would always get dressed in my Sunday best and she would give me a dollar to put in the offering plate, sometimes two. As I got older, I had stopped going for a long time until my mom at one point felt that I needed to go back and I didn’t have a choice in the matter. No, I wasn’t a juvenile delinquent or anything like that. I had just committed the cardinal sin of “losing my religion” before I was bound to the person I “gave my religion” to…legally. Anyway, at that age, my wardrobe was a bit more lax; but still respectful. Even if I had tried to wear jeans, she’d tell me no and change. For her it wasn’t about showing out; moreso showing respect to your body and the house of the Lord. After all, if you couldn’t be respectful enough to dress up for your Savior, you must not have respect for self.
Lately, I’ve been missing my mom and little things she made me do that I didn’t see the point of; one of which was showing up to church in your Sunday best. So when I saw this dress, it made me think of that line and those moments when I would see all of the churchgoing ladies who get gussied up to simply go to church (or the grocery store or anywhere, really) and chuckled to myself as I put it on, getting ready for my Sunday.
It’s funny the little things are what I miss the most. Things that made no sense that , depending on the day and the level of noise in my head, make more sense now that I’m older.
❤ Miss Kilo
Clothing & Accessories
- Dress: Sn@tch Selena Cocktail Dress
- Earrings & Necklace: Cae :: Odyssey :: Collection (former Collabor88 item)
- Nose Ring: (Yummy) Cleopatra Nose Ring – Silver
- Shoes: –KC– MALIA HEELS / MAITREYA SLINK BELLEZA TONIC
Body & Makeup
- Hair: Sn@tch Fern Hair
- Eye Shadow: LIVIA // Golden Liner @ Skin Fair 2018 (SLurl is directly to booth)
- +Lipstick (lower layer): alaskametro❤ “Drama Queen” makeup – Catwa @ Skin Fair 2018 (SLurl is direct link to booth)
- Lip Gloss (upper layer): Just Magnetized – My Lip Gloss
- Nails: #EMPIRE – Coffin Nails – Medium
- Nail Polish: LIVIA // Gold Pearl Nails @ Applique Event
- All other body basics found here.
Backdrop & Other Information
Sponsored items are in bold; promotional items have a plus sign (+) before the item.